Description Lan Sôr is an imposing Grade II Listed Elizabethan Manor House that is thought to date c.15th century. Featuring an attractive 9 gabled south facing L-shaped elevation. It enjoys a plethora of fine architectural features including stone mullioned windows with diamond leaded lights, grand tall chimneys, 2 turrets and a dovecote on one of the gable ends.
Accommodation Ground Floor
Entrance Vestibule The property is entered through an impressive two storey gabled entrance with stone floor and glazed double doors with gothic arched heads. Above the entrance is a chevron that is carved in stone and set between 3 wolves heads together with the Coat of Arms of the Meyrick and James families that were previous owners of Lan Sôr from the 17th century.
Reception Hall A stunning reception hall with stone floor, beamed ceiling, ornate oak panelling with a glazed book case set above a coffer, original stone fire place with a cast iron grate framed by oak panelling and a carved oak over mantle.
Sitting Room To the left is the sitting room with attractive ceiling cornice and an open fireplace providing a warm focal point. A door leads through to the large
Drawing Room That enjoys a triple aspect over the gardens and a smart Adam style fireplace with marble inset and hearth.
Dining Room To the right of the reception hall lies the formal dining room. A superb room for entertaining with a grand stone fireplace with carved oak surround of Flemish origin, with dates inscribed in the iron work of 1744 and 1780, ornate carved over mantle depicting profile heads and a Pelican feeding young in its nest. The over mantle is inscribed with a Welsh motto which reads: Gwell yw pryd o ddail lle byddo cariad, nag ych pasgedig a chas gydaf ef This is a quote from the Book of Proverbs and in English means Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith.
Study Beyond the dining room is a useful study overlooking the rose garden. A door leads off into an inner hallway with cloakroom and pantry off together with a second staircase to the first floor. This hall leads to the
Morning Room A cosy living room with beamed ceiling and fireplace and Adjacent is the generous Kitchen with fitted units. Also off the morning room is a useful Larder and a large Utility/Boot room with door to outside.
First Floor The main staircase to the first floor accommodation rises up from a rear hallway that lies beyond the main reception hall. The wide staircase features an original beam overhead inscribed with the year 1778 and initials M J. This rises up in a turret shape to the first floor. This floor provides excellent accommodation with 8 bedrooms in all. The principal bedroom sits above the smaller wing of the house and enjoys the use of a large dressing room with fitted wardrobes and a clerestory window. Two further bedrooms lie adjacent.The remaining 5 bedrooms are located above the larger wing of the house. Some of these bedrooms feature beamed ceilings, one with a feature fireplace. All the bedrooms enjoy the use of a bathroom and two separate shower rooms.
Externally Lan Sôr is approached through a smart electric wrought iron gated driveway that leads up and around to a large gravelled forecourt. The property sits in about 4 acres (stms- subject to measure survey) of landscaped grounds, gardens and adjacent paddocks that have been proudly maintained by the present owners over the years. The house is framed by beautiful formal lawns, rose beds, a long pergola, large kitchen garden, mature trees, shrubs and bushes. The gardens have been opened for the National Gardens Scheme in the past. There is also a further pasture paddock beyond the gardens of about 7 acres (stms) that is owned by Lan Sôr and is subject to an Agricultural Tenancy. There are a number of useful outbuildings at the property and these include a double garage, workshop/ wood store, coal bunker, boiler room, cellar and a large stable block with 3 loose boxes, tack room and hay barn/ implement store
Directions From the M4 eastbound, exit at junction 26 and follow the A4042 northwards following the signs for Abergavenny. Take the last exit at a roundabout signposting Llandegveth reservoir and the Crematorium. Follow the road for three miles and Lan Sôr is situated on the left hand side after a small cross roads.