Shutterstock 1615318561
Go Back

What paperwork do you need to sell a property?

To help speed up your sale or purchase of a new property, it's always helpful to have all your important documents to hand.

But what documents do you need when moving to a new house? We’ve listed all of them right here…

Documents needed when selling a house

Building work certificates

If you’ve had work done on your home, you may have guarantees, so these should also be provided for your buyers, including FENSA certificates if you have new double glazing.

If your property was bought as a new-build, it may also have an outstanding NHBC certificate, which should be supplied to the new owners through their solicitor.

Guarantees and warranties

There’s a pretty strong chance you’ll be including white goods with the sale of your home.

If your appliances, such as the boiler, oven or fridge-freezer, are still guaranteed or under warranty, you should supply proof of these to your buyer.

Service records for appliances

You should provide records of servicing for appliances like your boiler, or certificates for any electrical work or rewiring.

Energy Performance Certificate

You can’t sell your home without a valid Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). If your EPC is still valid, you should provide this when putting your home on the market and if you don’t have a valid certificate, you’ll need to have an energy assessment carried out before you can sell.

Documents needed when buying a house

Paperwork needed to apply for a mortgage

If you’re buying your new home with a mortgage, your lender will require several key documents to get your application moving.

Proof of identity and address

• Passport

• Driving licence

• Recent utility bill

Proving your income and outgoings

• Your last P60

• Your last three years of accounts if you’re self-employed

• An SA302 form if you’re self-employed

• Last three months’ payslips

• Last three months’ bank statements

• Further utility bills, including council tax, to show outgoings

• Insurance policy documents

• Hire Purchase agreements

Documents needed to appoint a solicitor

Like your mortgage lender, your solicitor will need to perform identification and proof of address checks.

So, you should provide your solicitor with:

• A copy of your driving licence or passport

• A utility bill, bank statement, or council tax bill as proof of address

Things you’ll need when you exchange contracts

Building insurance

you should arrange a buildings insurance policy to begin on the day of exchange and send a copy of this to your solicitor.

Your mortgage provider will also require a buildings insurance policy to be in place on your new home as part of their lending terms.

Although there is no legal requirement to do so, you should also consider arranging a contents insurance policy to protect your belongings once you have moved into your new property.

For help with moving, get in touch with us today.

Other posts you may find useful